Nazia Ahmad
ENG 4U
Mr. Breaton
Monday May 25, 2015
The Real Briony Tallis
Throughout Ian McEwan’s novel Atonement, the youngest of the Tallis children, Briony, is constantly causing trouble and distributing the lives of innocent others with her childish games. it is agreed by most that Briony is not a likable character. However, I believe that although Briony’s actions were harsh and not very well thought out, her intentions were true and she was simply trying to protect and defend her family, mainly her sister and cousin. With that being said, the development of Briony’s character and her true search for forgiveness towards the end makes her a redeemable character.
Cecilia Tallis is the older sister of Briony, and inevitably her “protector”. She is always caring and compassionate towards Briony. Also, since their mother is somewhat absent in their lives, it is left up to Cecilia to take care of her sister. This is shown when Cee is comforting Briony after her play didn’t go so well saying “This would not be the first time she has rescued Briony from self destruction...Cecilia had always loved to cuddle the baby of the family. When she was small and prone to nightmares...Cecilia used to go to her room and wake her. Come back, It’s only a dream” (McEwan 41). Since Cecelia is always the one protecting Briony, it is possible that Briony felt the need to reciprocate those actions which is why she did what she did. After witnessing the library scene, and being too young to understand what was really going on, Briony took what she knew and assumed is was not consensual. Adding that to Lola’s situation, it is quite clear Briony was only trying to protect her family the way they have always done for her.
Furthermore, Briony’s quest for atonement is surrounded around the fact that she single handedly ruined the lives of Cecilia and Robbie. She says to Robbie and Cee “I’m very very sorry. I’ve caused you such terrible distress. I’m very sorry”(329). She admits after that it was a foolish attempt, however she continues to agree to all their terms and to whatever they wish for her to do. She is completely willing to do what it takes to redeem herself and achieve the atonement she is so desperately searching for, “She knew what was required of her. Not simply a letter, but a new draft, an atonement, and she was ready to begin”(330). The fact that she was willing to do whatever she could to receive their forgiveness is an excellent example of why she is truly a good character.
Briony Tallis, a sister, nurse, and above all a phenomenal author spends the better portion of her life trying to gain the atonement she so desperately desires for her actions committed towards a family friend when she was a young girl. Some may say disregard all of her attempts and focus on the fact that she did what she did. However I believe that she did all she could.She spent decades writing her novel, which is her atonement for what she had done. In the wise words of Ian McEwan, and subsequently Briony Tallis “The attempt was all”(351).
Emma, I’d first like to say I may have laughed a little too much at your title, it probably wasn’t that funny to everyone else, but I loved it! As far as your opinion on Briony goes, i have to say I agree with you completely. I enjoyed how you based you entry on characteristics of Briony, like her dedication and determination, and used those to prove that she is a redeemable character. I appreciated that you found a way to introduce some good qualities about Briony when she was at her young age, like her determination with “The Trials of Arabella”. Most, including myself, tend to focus on her bad qualities as a 13 year old. For example, her “know it all” attitude. Overall a great piece of writing, as always!
No comments:
Post a Comment